Training Schools serve to help the Action achieve its objectives and deliver impact with regard to:
- Capacity Building: Allowing COST Actions to provide training for Researchers and Innovators in highly specialised topics which are in the scope of the Action. Training schools are the tool for transferring know-how among all types of actors and building interdisciplinary expertise;
- Research Coordination: Training Schools can also be used for reaching specific results (e.g., data collection or analysis, training on methodologies developed by the Action) in support of the objectives of the COST Action.
Training Schools benefit to:
- Networking with colleagues and next generation of researchers working in the same area;
- Setting the “standard” and/or shape new and emerging areas of knowledge; o Developing and improving their own teaching materials.
- Meeting and networking with peers and leaders of the area and, build the next generation of researchers;
- Getting critical knowledge and skills to deepen their own research;
- Creating potential for career opportunities.
When organising Training Schools, the following conditions shall be respected:
- The Training School shall have the COST Action scientific and networking objectives as its main focus. The COST Action also has to be one of the primary organisers of the Training School. For co-organised Training Schools, see below.
- The programme of the Training School shall incorporate theoretical and practical components.
Co-organisation of an event.
- Co-organisation of an event with an ‘external’ organisation is acceptable if there is a clear benefit to the COST Action in relation to the scientific and networking objectives of the COST Action. The COST Action shall be fully integrated into the scientific programme and shall have direct involvement in the general organisation of the event. This implies a good representation in the organising committee of COST Action participants and as speakers or session chairs at the event, i.e. at least 40%. In addition, a good representation of COST Action participants as audience and a fair share of local organiser costs and expenses related to invited speakers are also recommended. It is advisable to co-organise an event combined with Action MC and WG meetings so as to consolidate travel expenses for the COST Action.
- Moreover, the following conditions shall be respected:
- COST shall be visible as a co-organiser on the event’s specific website, publication and dissemination materials;
- Promotional material disseminated at events shall follow the instructions and standards defined in COST guidelines on visual identity.